Electrical Fire Results in School Closing

The New Paltz Fire Department (NPFD) was dispatched at 6:48 a.m. for a “fire in the ceiling” at the New Paltz Middle School on Oct. 16. 

Upon arriving to the scene, fire department members noticed a heavy smoke condition in the school cafeteria. Students were temporarily sent to New Paltz High School while the NPFD assessed and handled the situation before later being bussed home.

A second alarm was requested in order to bring in additional mutual aid units. Further investigation of the event revealed that a small fire that had occurred in the power box of an air handler. The NPFD found that the fire was out before opening the unit. The fire was contained to the unit, and only affected the rest of the building by emitting the smell of smoke. 

The NPFD completed ventilation and secured the cafeteria; fire units in service returned to the station at 8:12 a.m. As an additional precaution, the entire building was checked for carbon monoxide imbalances and emissions. 

The school was open the next day, as there were no hazards to the health of students, faculty or staff.

Information disseminated from fire department report.