Loss in SUNYAC Playoffs Ends Women’s Lacrosse’s Historic Season

The women's lacrosse team might have come to an end, but not before the Hawks made history with the program's first ever playoff appearance. (Photo courtesy of Robin Weinstein/Office of Communication and Marketing)

The women’s lacrosse team’s season came to an end Tuesday after losing to The College at Brockport 17-8 in the program’s first appearance in the playoffs. 

“There’s going to come a day where New Paltz women’s lacrosse wins games like Tuesday,” said fourth-year midfielder Rachael Purtell. “In order to get there, everyone next year and years after will just have to keep wanting more. I will forever bleed orange and blue.”

 The Golden Eagles were the first to score, but a quick retaliation goal by first-year attacker Katie Zito evened the score at one for the Hawks. Brockport and New Paltz traded shots with another goal by the Golden Eagles and a goal by second-year attacker Tara Bovich bringing the score 2-2.  

The two goals by Bovich and Zito were the only goals for the Hawks in the first period, while the Golden Eagles turned momentum around with ten unanswered goals, ending the first period up 12-2.

The Golden Eagles were the first to score in the second period, followed by two goals by the Hawks Zito and second-year attacker Amy Hofer to stay in the game. The score went back and forth, Brockport scored and then Zito again.  Brockport with a goal, and then Hofer again. 

The Golden Eagles added two more goals to take a commanding 17-6 lead, but the Hawks third-year attacker Emily Puciloski and third-year attacker Jennifer O’Leary scored to come within 10 down 17-8. The game came to a close at that score with Brockport handing the end of the New Paltz women’s lacrosse historic season to the Hawks.

The Hawks ended their regular season with a 19-7 loss to Oswego State. The game began with Oswego taking control on offense, and scoring twice before New Paltz’s Hofer found the net, leaving the Hawks down 2-1.

The Lakers wasted no time and quickly dominated the offense, putting up seven unanswered goals. The Hawks dry spell was broken up by Puciloski with two goals and Zito with a goal as well to come behind 9-4.  

The Hawks brief offensive strike was halted, and the Lakers tacked on four more goals before the end of the period, to put them on top 13-4 going into the break.

The second period began with a goal by Zito, but again the Lakers seized control and scored three more goals before first-year offensive midfielder Maddy Carullo scored for the Hawks.  The Lakers proceeded and scored another two goals before being broken up by Bovich with another Hawks goal. One last goal by the Lakers sealed the deal on the game, making it 19-7, and the end of regular season play for the Hawks.

“I tried to put it all out there for the team, especially for the seniors on senior day,” Zito said. “Unfortunately, we did not come out with the win, but we took what we could from the game and tried to bring the positives to Brockport.”