Men’s Soccer Fights in Two OT Matches

The New Paltz men’s soccer team went 0-1-1 over this past weekend, tying the College at Brockport in double overtime while also falling to Geneseo in overtime.

At Brockport, the game remained scoreless until 85:53, when first-year forward James Maltes stole the ball outside the 18-yard box before beating the keeper, scoring his first goal as a Hawk to give them a 1-0 lead, with just over four minutes left in regular time.

The Golden Eagles would immediately answer back, however, evening the score with 55 seconds left to play on a volley into the top shelf by first-year forward Matthew Stefaniw.

The game would go all the way to double overtime, eventually finishing in a 1-1 draw.

“When I scored I felt like I was on top of the world,” Maltes said. “It was great to be able to help my team out and make the crucial play when it really mattered, especially against a tough opponent like Brockport.”

The following day, New Paltz made their way to Geneseo where they would take to the pitch against the Knights.

“I felt the team was mentally feeling good heading into Saturday,” said Hawks head coach Kyle Clancy. “Even though we gave up the lead we still left with a point on Friday and that is the first point we have taken from this weekend in my three years here.”

The match remained scoreless for the first 23 minutes until Knights third-year forward Bryan Wagner shot a ball that ricocheted off Hawks second-year goalkeeper Marc DePasquale, and a defender to find the net, putting Geneseo up, 1-0.

New Paltz was aggressive on offense throughout the match, accumulating 21 shots to the Knight’s seven, while also amassing seven corners to Geneseo’s one.

At 78:09, the Hawks finally broke through as Maltes came up clutch again on his second goal of the season, assisted by second-year forward Kevin Doorley and third-year defender Luke Dole, evening the score heading into overtime.

“James has been great for us. He’s been dangerous offensively all season and creates a lot of chances for himself and his teammates,” Doorley said. “The team knew it was just a matter of time before he started scoring. He’s a phenomenal finisher and he’s going to be a crucial part of this program going forward.”

Just six minutes into overtime, Geneseo finished off the Hawks with a goal by Wagner, his second of the game giving the Knights the 2-1 victory in overtime.

“We have to be better defending the box. We are losing too many balls and losing our marks too often,” Clancy said. “Seven of our 14 goals have come off set pieces, including two of three this weekend.  It’s important to win the boxes on both ends and we have really struggled there. So, that will be a major focus this week.”

With a record of 8-4-1, and sitting fourth in the SUNYAC, the Hawks look to get back on track next week, as they face off against SUNY Potsdam on Oct. 12, followed by Plattsburgh State the next day.